Sisters

Sisters

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Peanut Heartbreak

Today when I picked Kinsey up from school, Mrs. Debbie apologized for the dirt all over Kinsey's shirt. But I assured her it was no big deal as it happens every time she eats Oreo's.
So, as Kinsey is getting in the car, I say, "did you have cookies today?" And to my surprise she tells, "the cookies had sprinkles." Wow, what kinda fancy Oreo's did I send with you today?
Then she continued, "The kids had cookies. The cookies had sprinkles. The kids at the big table. The big table. Not Kinsey. Kinsey was at the little table. All the kids were at the big table..."
Whoa whoa whoa... She was still rattling on, but I had questions!
"You weren't at the big table? You were at a little table? By yourself?"
"Nope. Kinsey and Jaycie."
I felt that tingle in my nose, you know, the one that happens right before tears form.  See, I know where this is going. Jaycie also has a peanut allergy.
"So Kinsey and Jaycie were sitting at the little table?"
"Uh huh. And all the kids were eating cookies. Sprinkles on cookies."
"And why wasn't Kinsey?"
And there it was, a flash forward of a lifetime of being left out, missing out on the cake because, maybe... not being carefree, having to be overly concerned... but being a kid that always has to worry and be cautious... (maybe that's a little over dramatic but still).
"Because of peanut butter." Insert sad face here.

Now, let me clarify! PDO is peanut free.  The director, Mrs. Monica, is more on top of this peanut thing than I may ever be. Her daughter has a severe peanut allergy. Severe enough to include 911 calls, epipen sticks, ambulance rides... you get the point. Severe! It's made clear that not only should group snacks be peanut free but also individual meals should be peanut free.  Things have been sent home with me, unopened, with a circle around the words MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS on the label. (I mean seriously, who would think that yogurt covered raisins would say that on the label!)  Mrs. Monica and that the others are on top of it! I don't worry about Kinsey in their care.

As for what happened today, I really can't say but I'm glad to know they aren't taking any chances with my kid and that Kinsey is aware she has a peanut allergy.

2 comments:

  1. This bought tears to my eyes. It's one of those things that you have no control over even though it breaks your heart.
    But what I don't understand is why would any of the children be getting something that not everyone could have? Am I misunderstanding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with an allergy to artificial food dye (i.e. red 40) and Kellyn has it too... I think all the time when Ryan and Alyna are eating something that in about a year they can't have it anymore. I too felt left out every time I couldn't have the koolaid, cake, Halloween candy, etc. (of course mine wasn't life threatening)

    I'm glad they are taking care of her, and I want you to know that Ryan had a penut butter sandwich before the meeting this morning, but then I thought about Kenzie and we washed his hands 2 times, rinsed his mouth out, and changed his shirt before we came. I'm glad you share that information with everyone so we can help protect her too.

    ReplyDelete